If you have ever come down with a cold or the flu, you often realize how difficult it is to get anything done during the day. Oftentimes you may find yourself bedridden for hours on end. However, your teeth are often at an increased risk for dental damage at this time, so it is important to exercise caution with your diet and cleaning habits even more so than usual. Consider this:
– Throwing up can bring harmful acids from your stomach into your mouth. To prevent dental abrasion from occurring, avoid brushing and instead, use cleaning products such as sugarless chewing gum or mouthwash.
– Make sure you stay hydrated and avoid any products that increase your risk for dry mouth.
– Even if you are sick, it is important to maintain your daily oral hygiene routines. This includes brushing your teeth twice a day and flossing once a day as well. To lower your risk of contamination, never share your toothbrush or use anyone else’s toothbrush. It may be a good idea to replace your toothbrush after you’ve been sick.
– Exercise caution with cough drops as they can often be loaded with sugars or even chip and crack your teeth if you bite into them too hard.
– Avoid unhealthy products when you are sick, including those loaded with sugar.
If you are in need of additional dental care in Wappingers Falls, New York, come visit Wappingers Falls Dental Arts for a comprehensive exam or cleaning. To schedule an appointment, you can ring our dentist office at 845-297-0757. Under the guiding hand of Dr. Shay Markovitch and our team, we can help fix your smile.